Sunday, August 28, 2016

The Xs by Peter Reum

I promised you the world
You said you'd be alright
What began so shining
Faded into a dark knight

We went to places often frightened
That slowly became familiar
Wide open places shining
Offering discoveries newly peculiar

Romantic glimmers offered
Were accepted unreservedly
Contact brought such pleasure
Knowing selfish feelings were gone that had risen undeservedly
causing us to measure.

Our time became a routine
Love quietly slipped away
The kids never realized why
Clashes sent us astray

Friends said "how did
You become so angry?
She said "He told me that
I no longer meet his needs"
I, numbed out and smoldering, painfully
Stopped planting loving seeds,
Instead deciding bitterly
To throw them in the weeds

I replied without rancor
"If I were to guess what drove us apart this way "
Your striving for perfection
Made loving me impossible
And tempted you to stray

The clues were there and obvious to me
People we knew hinted
to me that something was amiss
I listened, so often unfeeling
The doubts I had  set aside
Trying to find a path to avoid divorce's fatal kiss

It felt too painful
To repair lost love which felt
So unbearably bitter that I Cried out to my God that so many times love, I've tried
"Please can you help to find me someone who loves
You and we are all unified" ?


No comments:

Post a Comment