Sunday, May 12, 2013

Mothers by Peter Reum

This is the year of my mother's centennial. On July 10 of this year, it will be 100 years since she was born.  She was a generous, warm and caring woman who loved children, hers, and the children she taught.  At a time when women were not expected to attend college, my mom did, and graduated. She had a daughter when she was 18. Her life was not easy, and she had tuberculosis as a young woman when few people survived.  Her only sister died of TB.

She met my dad in Michigan. He was working and she and my dad fell in love over time. Both of them were the youngest in their family, and they both were used to lots of attention. My dad was from a family of 8 kids plus himself. My mother was the only child of her dad's second marriage. her half sister was her closest friend.

My mom's daughter was welcomed by my father, after they married. It was an instant family. She was 9 when they married. My father was a man who wanted children. As a team, my mother and father opened their home to all three of us. We were adopted. My mother and father were beyond generous, and their decision to adopt us was a blessing of our lifetime.

My birth mother is someone I also choose to remember this day. She carried me and allowed my birth, knowing she would never see me again. So, she gave me to my adoptive mother, and I carry her with me as well.

My childrens' mothers were a blessing and are a blessing to them. My older kids' mom died in 2007, and she is much missed by my daughters. I appreciate what she gave them, and she would be proud  of them, and was proud of them when she was alive. My 2 little ones' mother is a funny, generous, and kind hearted woman who does everything she can to make their lives wonderful. They are active, funny, and love their mom.

For all the mothers I know, and my own mother, I am grateful today. The decision she and my dad made before they adopted me and my sister changed our lives for the better forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment